Nicomenthyl 20 is a Niacin (vitamin B3) derivative, composed of pure Menthyl nicotinate (purity grade > 99.0 %).
It is rapidly absorbed through the skin barrier and slowly hydrolyzed by esterase into its two original components: Niacin and Menthol. Such beneficial, simultaneous and time-release delivery of Niacin and Menthol into the skin, controls, modulates and prevents the niacin-flush effect, without causing irritations or sensitizations, meanwhile providing a long-lasting fresh tingling sensation.
In vivo tests have shown that it very significantly activates skin microcirculation, making it the ideal ingredient in antiage, cellulite and hair growth treatments.
Niacin is a precursor of NAD (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide), one of the most important and interesting molecules in the body. It is required for over 500 enzymatic reactions and plays key roles in the regulation of almost all major biological processes (Ansari and Raghava, 2010).
Niacin deficiency and consequent lack of NAD in skin cells causes intracellular incidents which can lead to lipid peroxidation, oxidative stress of the cell membranes, premature skin ageing, erythema and skin irritation, and eventually more serious consequences, including unrepaired DNA damage, disruption of epidermal barrier integrity, mutagenesis, immune suppression, actinic keratosis and skin cancers.
A recent study, published in the prestigious journal Nature, has also evidenced that Niacin is highly effective in preventing lung tissue damage of COVID-19 patients (COVID-19 infection: the perspectives on immune responses, Yufang Shi et al. 23 March 2020).
Full-scale in vitro tests have demonstrated that Nicomenthyl 20 is a very powerful NAD boosting molecule, and thus is instrumental in helping to avoid harmful effects to the skin from many different kinds of damaging agents, such as free radicals, oxidative chemicals, pollutants, UV radiations, Blue Light, WIFI waves, and so forth.
Recommended dosage in Face Products: 0.5 – 1%. In Body Products: 0.5 – 3%. In Special Products (intensive treatments): up to 5%.
Product name: Nicomenthyl® 20
INCI name: Menthyl nicotinate
CAS Number: 40594-65-8
Appearance: colorless liquid
Odor: characteristic, practically odorless at room temperature
Solubility: insoluble in water; soluble in ethanol, fatty oils, esters.
- Skin microcirculation enhancer
- Bioprotective against UV damages
- Protecting the skin against harmful effects from external factors.
- Anti-age, anti free-radicals and anti-pollutant, skin detox formulations
- Sun care products (pre, during and after-sun exposure)
- Hair loss prevention treatments
- Cellulitis treatments
- Sport products
- Spa treatment products
- Refreshing/ reactivating products for feet and legs
- Intimate hygiene products
- Lip plumping treatments
- Pre- or after-shave products
- Massage body lotions
- Oral care products and treatments (cosmetics or medical devices) such as toothpastes, oral rinses, mouthwashes, etc.
- Nasal protective sprays and treatments (medical devices)
- Non irritant hand sanitizers (preventing and repairing skin irritation and dryness caused by alcohol-based handrubs)